Medallion Signature Guarantee
Why Do I Need a Medallion Signature Guarantee?
The Medallion Signature Guarantee is commonly required for the transfer of investment securities when it pertains to things such as name changes, transfer of ownership and gifting.
The Medallion Signature Guarantee program covers securities transactions only and is available at all TFCU branch locations. You may want to call your branch before visiting to ensure that a guarantor is available.
The Medallion Signature Guarantee Program provides a Medallion imprint to guarantee the signature(s) of a certified owner(s) for the sale, assignment, transfer, or redemption of a security. Stock, bond, mutual fund, and some annuity transactions often require a Medallion Signature Guarantee.
The Medallion Signature Guarantee Program is not for use on non-security events. These include, but are not limited to, account maintenance changes, beneficiary changes, or authorization for wire transfers.
Please read the following checklist. Medallion Signature-guarantee-checklist.pdf
You will need the following when requesting a Medallion Signature Guarantee:
- Your TFCU account number.
- Your current, non-expired government issued identification. If there is more than one account owner, all owners need to be present at the same time and show current, non-expired government issued identification.
- Your completed documents. Documents with corrections or that are incomplete cannot be signature guaranteed. Do not sign your completed form(s). You will sign your forms when you are getting the Medallion imprint.
- Your most recent account statement, showing ownership, account number, and value of the security.
- Your stock certificate, if applicable. If the transaction relates to stock, the guarantor must verify the current value of the stock through a reliable source.
- Your letter of intent and written instructions from a brokerage firm, if applicable. The instructions need to state what must be contained in the letter, who should sign the letter, and that the signatures must be guaranteed.
- Your proof that you are the appropriate person — such as Power of Attorney, Trustee, Executor, beneficiary, or on behalf of a club or business — to sign in a capacity other than owner (if you are not the owner of the security). This may include Power of Attorney documents, Trust Agreements, Death Certificate, Letters of Office, and Corporate Resolutions.
Check to see that there is a blank box in proximity to the signature(s) area designated for the Signature Guarantee. When a separate box is not provided, proof of authenticity may be affected, and your document(s) could be rejected by the financial institution that requires the Medallion imprint.